Vocabulary for Chapter 9
- How Do Individuals Form Their Political Opinions?
- What Is Public Opinion and How Is It Shaped?
- Public Opinion as Guide, Guard, and Glue
- From Straw Polls to Scientific Sampling: The Evolution of Opinion Polling
- JThe Polling Process: Sample, Survey, and Sum Up
- The Use of Polling to Measure Public Sentiment
- The Use of Polling in Political Campaigns
- The Misuse of Polling to Influence Public Opinion
- Where Do Americans Get Their News?
- The News Versus the New Media
- The Role of a Free Press in a Democracy
- Influencing the Media: Staging, Spinning, and Leaking
- Are the Media Biased?
- Image Making and the Role of Media Consultants
- Types of Campaign Ads: Issue Versus Image
- Attracting Media Coverage: Photo Ops and Streamlined Conventions
- Media Coverage of Elections: Horse Races and Soap Operas
- Why Campaigns Go Negative